When Do You Need a Tax Attorney? Tax attorneys are lawyers who specialize in the complex and technical field of tax law. Tax attorneys are best for handling complex, technical, and legal issues.
You definitely need a tax attorney if:
- You have a taxable estate, need to make complex estate planning strategies, or need to file an estate tax return.
- You are starting a business and need legal counsel about the structure and tax treatment of your company.
- You are engaging in international business and need help with contracts, tax treatment, and other legal matters.
- You plan to bring a suit against the IRS.
- You plan to seek independent review of your case before the US Tax Court.
- You are under criminal investigation by the IRS.
- You have committed tax fraud (such as claiming false deductions and credits) and need the protection of privilege.