Questions to ask
- Is the attorney admitted to the state bar?
- What does the tax attorney specialize in?
- How much does the attorney charge?
- Can the attorney help you with your tax case?
- If not, can the attorney refer you to another tax attorney who can help you?
Free and Low Cost Legal Assistance
Tax clinics throughout the United States provide free or low-cost legal assistance to qualifying taxpayers. Tax clinics are funded by the National Taxpayer Advocate. You can find a complete list of tax clinics in IRS Publication 4134 (PDF file, 4 pages).